Most of us know that the mornings can sometimes...ok MOST of the time be a grind. The alarm goes off and the only thing you want to do is throw it across the room and bury your head in between your pillows. If you're like me... you simply set 3 alarms so that when the first goes off, you hit the Snooze button and get another five minutes of serene, peaceful sleep... until the next alarm goes off (Repeat).
Here are a few tips to making the morning routine somewhat more enjoyable and peaceful so that you can go through your day a bit more energetic (and joyful). I share these tips with you because often a simple tweak in our mornings can have a profound effect on how we act and REACT during the day. If we want to get out and change the world... we must change our attitude and outlook in the morning. Here are some tips!
1. Get rid of that obnoxious alarm that you want to beat with a hammer! Think about it.. the first noise of the day that you hear is a loathsome, deafening sound that would make anyone irritated. Choose and alarm sound that is easier to wake up to and tranquil. (I personally like the Harp on the Iphone or some of the Free sleep/alarm Apps through iTunes work great as well).
2. Take care of every chore, mess, disorder in your house before you go to bed. This is something that is so easy to do yet most people wake up and immediately feel overwhelmed with the tasks in front of them. If you take your lunch to work or make it for your kids, put it together at night and you will find more time in the morning dedicated to your own well-being.
3. Avoid any rush by getting up earlier. This is often a hard one for anyone who already gets up early or is the first to rise in their household. I started gradually by waking up 15 minutes earlier every single week until I got to a comfortable time that I could consistently work with. You will be amazed at how much more peaceful you feel after a relaxed, easy-going morning routine.
4. Spend this extra little time on YOURSELF. The day ahead of you may present countless challenges and barriers to your happiness but that is life. To combat this stress, start your day off with 15-30 minutes of quiet meditation, a walk outside or relaxing to a cup of tea in silence. I force myself to smile (through the tiredness) and think of a few things in my life that I am grateful for. This simple exercise will give you time to center yourself and focus on the beauty of the day ahead.
5. Avoid TV, Email, Twitter, Facebook, business calls until you have had time to yourself. This one was difficult for me (and still is). My first inclination is to turn off my alarm and check my email while the phone is still sitting in my hand. If you can have the discipline to put the technology down and before you spiritually wake up, you will be thanking yourself later on in the day for it.
6. Drink a glass of water when you get up. This has a lot of health benefits associated with it...you will jump start your metabolism and it will leave you feeling more energetic and refreshed to tackle the day. Your body gets dehydrated during sleep so replenishing your body right away will give it that kick start it needs!
7. Frustrations and unexpected events are bound to happen in the morning and throughout the day. Stay calm and carry on. The 15-30 minutes of focused breathing, meditation or relaxation will help you breathe through these moments and think clearer on how to move forward. First you must make peace within yourself and then you can make peace out in the world.